Trust me, I know it’s not easy. Look, I am living away from my country and this « last » expatriation has been difficult so far. My main issue is because I can’t stop myself to think « WHY » when I should just let it go and think « HOW » can I change/improve it?
Living abroad and out of your confort zone is for sure a challenge. However, I realize that to do it solo is WAY easier than with a boyfriend and a family-in-law who come with. It’s scare me.
So, how to make it better?
Honestly, I haven’t find it yet. I am still looking for how I could make this new city, Chicago, as mine and already call it HOME.
The key is to be comfortable while being uncomfortable.
- Explore the new city only by yourself
- Take your time – there is no marathon here
- Make your own friends
- Trust Yourself
- Do your own activities
- Find a coffee shop, a park or a special place which will make you feeling good
- Communicate with other when it’s needed
- Try to not complain and just open your eyes
- Don’t be embarrassed about you are from
- Embrace yourself to feel uncomfy because it will molds you for tomorrow
Over to you, when travel/expatriation challenges you? How are you dealing with uncomfortable situation?
Cécile lives in Chicago though is originally from southern France. She’s an avid traveler and is always excited by new adventures. After living in Ireland, Australia and Canada, Cécile is an advocate of having a routine but not staying comfortable for too long.